Skip to main content

Saree and me

The original title of this post was Saree and (poor) me, which would be part of poor me series. But I told myself, the first step of empowering oneself is to think self as strong. So I am not poor me. I will no longer be.

But I do not like sarees. Not on me, at least. The gauche  rather artistically challenged me, does not know how to drape a saree into  a beautiful poetry. Suffice it to say that when I wear a saree, I look older and more badly dressed than usual. So I prefer to wear salwar-kurtas which require no effort at all.

But I was forced to wear sarees, not one but three of them in the same day.  Tell me the rationale behind this. I am not the bride, nor am I bride's mother, nor am I groom's mother. Then why should I wear 3 heavy sarees on the same day. When the bride is garlanding the groom, why should all the women who sit around should wear heavy sarees and be perspiring? To be reminded of the fact that, this is how their current (add suitable expletive adjective here) life started?

But still all my courage loses its teeth when encountered by in laws, all the six of them with their offsprings. And when they are wearing beautiful sarees, with nice jewellery and also looking terrific in them, I dare not look like an odd man  woman out. So I did try my best to look good in a saree. And was not very successful.

I am sure  men who are against women achievers, must have invented sarees. So that they spend half their life time, in choosing a saree with right color, right border and right pallu, and then choosing a blouse material which matches this saree in its shade at least 99.9% and a petticoat which should also be of similar color, and then getting these things stitched. And most importantly stand in front of mirror and select which saree may match the occasion, mentally imagining what person A, person B and person C might be wearing and how can one outshine - literally,  them? This person must be one sexist @#@@@. (no, no not mail id, but use strongest expletive you would like to use)

With saree occupying  most of their waking hours thus, how will a person find any time to do more important works like blogging, stumbling and visiting facebook?

So dear ladies, let us all ban sarees and decide to wear anything but saree for any occasion. A salwar-kurta, a frock, a jeans and shirt or even a night gown. How about that? You might say, I am saying it as the fox complained of sour grapes, but believe me, ban sarees and you will thank me in the long run.

P.S. : I did it!!!  In the next nephew in law's  marriage, on the second day, I did wear a salwar kurta. And people were not shocked at all. Do you say, by now they are used to my quirky habits?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someshwara shataka

ಚರಿಪಾರಣ್ಯದ ಪಕ್ಷಿಗೊಂದು ತರು ಗೊಡ್ಢಾಗಲ್ ಫಲಂ ಈವಿದಾ ಮರಗಳ್ ಪುಟ್ಟವೆ ಪುಷ್ಪವೊಂದು ಬಳಲಲ್  ಭ್ರಂಗಕ್ಕೆ ಪೂವಿಲ್ಲವೆ ನಿರತಂ ಸತ್ಕವಿಗೋರ್ವ ಗರ್ವಿದಂ ನೃಪ ತಾಂ ಲೋಭಿಯಾಗಲ್ ನಿಜಂ ಧರೆಯೊಳ್ ದಾತರು ಪುಟ್ಟರೆ ಹರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Will a bird in the wild go hungry just because one fruit tree dries up? If one flower withers, will not the bee get any flowers? If one haughty king is miserly, will there be no patrons (of poetry) on this earth? ಕೆಲವಂ ಬಲ್ಲವರಿಂದ ಕಲ್ತು ಕೆಲವಂ ಶಾಸ್ತ್ರಂಗಳೋದುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಮಾಳ್ಪವರಿಂದ ಕಂಡು ಕೆಲವಂ ಸುಜ್ಙಾನದಿಂ  ನೋಡುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಸಜ್ಜನಸಂಗದಿಂದಲರಿಯಲ್ ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞನಪ್ಪಂ ನರಂ ಪಲವಂ ಪಳ್ಳ ಸಮುದ್ರವೈ ಹಾರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Learning from wise men, reading from good books, observing others  work and learning from good company, these are the ways a man becomes omni-scient (sarvajna - one who knows everything). Just like many streams join together to make an ocean. P.S. 1) If you find some of my wordings in this shataka is wrong, please let me know. It is a 40 year old memory. 2) There are also many tripadis(poem

AA

This must really go to facebook page. But since I am currently not in facebook, I am putting it here. If you feel any of your close ones or your friends and relatives are addicts or on the way of being addicts, introduce them to Alcoholic anonymous. They have meetings all over the Bangalore and in other towns in India also.  I have taken this list from AA India site . The site also contains lot of information about alcoholics including a questionnaire to find out if a a person is an alcoholic or not.   BELGAUM ADDRESSES TIMINGS New Life Group.    St, Anthony Kannada High School,    Opp. Fish Market Khanapur Road, Camp Belgaum-590006 Anand – 099026 87947 Sat 6.00 p.m. Back Top BENGALURU ADDRESSES TIMINGS

ಒಗಟು

ಇದು ಕನ್ನಡದ ಒಂದು ಒಗಟು. ಅಮ್ಮ ಹೇಳಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದು. ನೋಡಿ ಬಿಡಿಸಲು ಆಗುವುದೋ ಎಂದು. ಉತ್ತರೆಯ ತಾಯ ತಮ್ಮನ ಕತ್ತಲೆಯಲಿ ಒತ್ತಿ ಕೊಂದವನ ಅಗ್ರಜನ ಪಿತನ ವಾಹನದನ್ತಿರ್ಪವನೆ !!! Hint : you must know your Mahabharatha well. One more. ಹರನ ಹಾರನ ಆಹಾರನ ಸುತನ ದೇವನ ಮಡದಿಯಂ ಕದ್ದೊಯ್ದವನ ಅನುಜನ ಮಡದಿಯೆನಗೊಲಿದಿರ್ಪಳ್ P.S. : If you find the solution, you can mention it in the comment :) Since no one came up with solutions, let me mention them. Uttara's mother's younger brother is Keechaka. The one who killed him in darkness is Bheema. His agraja - elder brother - is Dharmaraya. whose pita - father is Yama. Yama's vahana is buffalo. So the ogatu, is to call some one a buffalo. Second one is Hara's garland - haara is snake, Snake's food is Vaayu - air. Vaayu's son is Hanuman. His god is Rama. The person who kidnapped Rama's madadi - wife - is Ravana. Ravana's anuja is Kumbhakarna. His wife is Nidra - sleep. So all this just to say I am sleepy.