Skip to main content

Enable

I was and am tired of my windows laptop. Things start disappearing from time to time and I am unable to bring them back. Few months back it was network indicator.Why do I need indicators? Because I need to be disconnected almost always. Because I am paranoid surrounded by unfriendly wifi connections of some unfriendly, almost hostile people. So I thought let me buy a ubuntu system and live happily ever after with that system. 

Happily ever after is not written in my kismet. When I first bought the system, sound was not working. Then lan connection was not working and next wifi was not working.

Windows tweaking is simple - relatively. You just enable and disable some services. At the most you may need to use registry editor. Or worst case scenario, factory reset fixes the problem. You may need to install all software all over again..

But ubuntu is different. Users of this system are supposedly geeks. So if you have fever, ubuntu gives you an anatomy book and asks you to fix yourself. 

There are so many commands which appear in forums who are abbreviations for God knows what. Do you know what sudo stands for? How about lspci? Of course there are man  - manual pages. If you have patience and inclination for these lengthy cryptic pages without examples and screen shots.

So there are solutions in the forums, which ask you to do sudo apt-get install this, sudo rm some thing else. 

After trying all these solutions, my wifi was not still hiding, stubbornly telling me "device not found". As a last resort, having once used recovery options for unsuccessfully changing  password, I selected advanced options and went to generic ubuntu there. Surprise of surprises, after booting, I did get wifi and could see all hostile neighboring wifis. So it meant that there was nothing wrong with driver, not with rfkill - don't ask me what it is. So I started reverse engineering. Looked at grub lines for non-working ubuntu and working ubuntu and resolved the issue.

Few line editing in GRUB - grand unified boot loader - see I know this,  fixed the problem. No other user must have faced a similar issue.

Funny thing is ever since I bought ubuntu system, all I have achieved is enabling such basic features. Using so much time and energy.

All the People say I am paranoid. But now my fear is who ever trying to disable my systems is a genius. I am a gubbi for these brahmastras.

I wish I could give my laptops to Dr. House. He like such puzzles. He will certainly leave diagnostics and become a dual OS expert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someshwara shataka

ಚರಿಪಾರಣ್ಯದ ಪಕ್ಷಿಗೊಂದು ತರು ಗೊಡ್ಢಾಗಲ್ ಫಲಂ ಈವಿದಾ ಮರಗಳ್ ಪುಟ್ಟವೆ ಪುಷ್ಪವೊಂದು ಬಳಲಲ್  ಭ್ರಂಗಕ್ಕೆ ಪೂವಿಲ್ಲವೆ ನಿರತಂ ಸತ್ಕವಿಗೋರ್ವ ಗರ್ವಿದಂ ನೃಪ ತಾಂ ಲೋಭಿಯಾಗಲ್ ನಿಜಂ ಧರೆಯೊಳ್ ದಾತರು ಪುಟ್ಟರೆ ಹರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Will a bird in the wild go hungry just because one fruit tree dries up? If one flower withers, will not the bee get any flowers? If one haughty king is miserly, will there be no patrons (of poetry) on this earth? ಕೆಲವಂ ಬಲ್ಲವರಿಂದ ಕಲ್ತು ಕೆಲವಂ ಶಾಸ್ತ್ರಂಗಳೋದುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಮಾಳ್ಪವರಿಂದ ಕಂಡು ಕೆಲವಂ ಸುಜ್ಙಾನದಿಂ  ನೋಡುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಸಜ್ಜನಸಂಗದಿಂದಲರಿಯಲ್ ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞನಪ್ಪಂ ನರಂ ಪಲವಂ ಪಳ್ಳ ಸಮುದ್ರವೈ ಹಾರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Learning from wise men, reading from good books, observing others  work and learning from good company, these are the ways a man becomes omni-scient (sarvajna - one who knows everything). Just like many streams join together to make an ocean. P.S. 1) If you find some of my wordings in this shataka is wrong, please let me know. It is a 40 year old memory. 2) There are also many tripadis(poem

AA

This must really go to facebook page. But since I am currently not in facebook, I am putting it here. If you feel any of your close ones or your friends and relatives are addicts or on the way of being addicts, introduce them to Alcoholic anonymous. They have meetings all over the Bangalore and in other towns in India also.  I have taken this list from AA India site . The site also contains lot of information about alcoholics including a questionnaire to find out if a a person is an alcoholic or not.   BELGAUM ADDRESSES TIMINGS New Life Group.    St, Anthony Kannada High School,    Opp. Fish Market Khanapur Road, Camp Belgaum-590006 Anand – 099026 87947 Sat 6.00 p.m. Back Top BENGALURU ADDRESSES TIMINGS

ಒಗಟು

ಇದು ಕನ್ನಡದ ಒಂದು ಒಗಟು. ಅಮ್ಮ ಹೇಳಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದು. ನೋಡಿ ಬಿಡಿಸಲು ಆಗುವುದೋ ಎಂದು. ಉತ್ತರೆಯ ತಾಯ ತಮ್ಮನ ಕತ್ತಲೆಯಲಿ ಒತ್ತಿ ಕೊಂದವನ ಅಗ್ರಜನ ಪಿತನ ವಾಹನದನ್ತಿರ್ಪವನೆ !!! Hint : you must know your Mahabharatha well. One more. ಹರನ ಹಾರನ ಆಹಾರನ ಸುತನ ದೇವನ ಮಡದಿಯಂ ಕದ್ದೊಯ್ದವನ ಅನುಜನ ಮಡದಿಯೆನಗೊಲಿದಿರ್ಪಳ್ P.S. : If you find the solution, you can mention it in the comment :) Since no one came up with solutions, let me mention them. Uttara's mother's younger brother is Keechaka. The one who killed him in darkness is Bheema. His agraja - elder brother - is Dharmaraya. whose pita - father is Yama. Yama's vahana is buffalo. So the ogatu, is to call some one a buffalo. Second one is Hara's garland - haara is snake, Snake's food is Vaayu - air. Vaayu's son is Hanuman. His god is Rama. The person who kidnapped Rama's madadi - wife - is Ravana. Ravana's anuja is Kumbhakarna. His wife is Nidra - sleep. So all this just to say I am sleepy.