Skip to main content

karjikai to shankarpole

Day before yesterday being Ganesha chaturthi, I normally prepare 5 sweets for Ganesha, not that he comes from Kailasa and eats them. Well, back in our place, this festival is celebrated in a large way. So this one festival, I will know when it comes, and I do prepare these sweets for puja. Panchakajjaya which is powder of roasted bengal grams, desiccated coconut and sugar, well known chakkali, kadubu, modaka and sesame seeds unde.
So I prepared kadubu or karjikai and was not happy with its appearance. Karjikai is prepared by boiling together cocounut , jaggery, sesame seeds for 10-15 minutes and then adding powdered poha to make it thicker and then stuffing it in thin sheet rolled from dough and cutting it in the semi-circle and frying it. So I know the basics to some extent. But somehow after frying the karjikai is having small boils all over and that is not how mom's karjikai turn out. So I decided to try them next day and kept some stuffing aside.
Yesterday, I prepared dough from maida i.e. refined flour and tried to roll very thin sheets. After stuffing and cutting , I thought I achieved it. But when I try to put the thing into pan for frying I realize that the edges are not sealed and all coconut stuffing is popping out. ( I could have sealed the edges with wet hand, as they do for samosa. But I did not)
Next I thought, OK, let me make modaka of them. That is after stuffing do not bother about the shape, just roll into ball and the sheet will be twisted to have a juttu on top. But again I did not like this tweak.
Next I tried making sweet samosa of it. I rolled a circle, cut into half. Twisted the semicircle into a cone and stuffed the coconut and sealed. The shape was looking better. And more importantly the edges did not open during frying. But the taste was more of bland than of sweet.
By this time, I was completely frustrated and angry. I just rolled one thick circle of the remaining dough, cut it into many squares and fried them. Sprinkled chilli pd and salt and hing mixture on top.
What did I do with remaining sweet stuffing? Well, it was not bad -  in taste!!!
As you can see, I like to flaunt my blundering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someshwara shataka

ಚರಿಪಾರಣ್ಯದ ಪಕ್ಷಿಗೊಂದು ತರು à²—ೊಡ್ಢಾಗಲ್ ಫಲಂ ಈವಿದಾ ಮರಗಳ್ ಪುಟ್ಟವೆ ಪುಷ್ಪವೊಂದು ಬಳಲಲ್  à²­್ರಂಗಕ್ಕೆ ಪೂವಿಲ್ಲವೆ ನಿರತಂ ಸತ್ಕವಿಗೋರ್ವ ಗರ್ವಿದಂ ನೃಪ ತಾಂ ಲೋಭಿಯಾಗಲ್ ನಿಜಂ ಧರೆಯೊಳ್ ದಾತರು ಪುಟ್ಟರೆ ಹರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Will a bird in the wild go hungry just because one fruit tree dries up? If one flower withers, will not the bee get any flowers? If one haughty king is miserly, will there be no patrons (of poetry) on this earth? ಕೆಲವಂ ಬಲ್ಲವರಿಂದ ಕಲ್ತು ಕೆಲವಂ ಶಾಸ್ತ್ರಂಗಳೋದುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಮಾಳ್ಪವರಿಂದ ಕಂಡು ಕೆಲವಂ ಸುಜ್ಙಾನದಿಂ  ನೋಡುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಸಜ್ಜನಸಂಗದಿಂದಲರಿಯಲ್ ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞನಪ್ಪಂ ನರಂ ಪಲವಂ ಪಳ್ಳ ಸಮುದ್ರವೈ ಹಾರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Learning from wise men, reading from good books, observing others  work and learning from good company, these are the ways a man becomes omni-scient (sarvajna - one who knows everything). Just like many streams join together to make an ocean. P.S. 1) If you find some of my wordings in this shataka is wrong, please let me know. It is a 40 year old memory. 2) There are also many tripadis(poem

AA

This must really go to facebook page. But since I am currently not in facebook, I am putting it here. If you feel any of your close ones or your friends and relatives are addicts or on the way of being addicts, introduce them to Alcoholic anonymous. They have meetings all over the Bangalore and in other towns in India also.  I have taken this list from AA India site . The site also contains lot of information about alcoholics including a questionnaire to find out if a a person is an alcoholic or not.   BELGAUM ADDRESSES TIMINGS New Life Group.    St, Anthony Kannada High School,    Opp. Fish Market Khanapur Road, Camp Belgaum-590006 Anand – 099026 87947 Sat 6.00 p.m. Back Top BENGALURU ADDRESSES TIMINGS

Bharatha - 2. UrdhvaRoma

I wanted to write about Karna as my part 2 of Bharatha because he is the real tragic hero of MahaBharatha. But net is filled with writings about him. So let me write about little known son of Arjuna called Urdhvaroma. And I don't want to write as twisted tale but as I have heard it from my Yankatte (atte - aunt). Yankatte was my mother's aunt and she was widowed in childhood. She would spend some time in my granny's house and some time in her husband's house. She would tell us all beautiful stories. UrdhvaRoma was a son of Arjuna (I think. Or may be Bhima's son. I don't remember clearly. ) He was living in the forest. One day when he was practicing archery, Arjuna and Krishna were passing by. Krishna indicated Arjuna to hide and watch. This boy shot an arrow to a large tree. And all the leaves of the tree fell down except for 5 and a half leaves. Krishna and Arjuna came forward and asked him what was all this about. The boy told " After few years there wi