Skip to main content

karjikai to shankarpole

Day before yesterday being Ganesha chaturthi, I normally prepare 5 sweets for Ganesha, not that he comes from Kailasa and eats them. Well, back in our place, this festival is celebrated in a large way. So this one festival, I will know when it comes, and I do prepare these sweets for puja. Panchakajjaya which is powder of roasted bengal grams, desiccated coconut and sugar, well known chakkali, kadubu, modaka and sesame seeds unde.
So I prepared kadubu or karjikai and was not happy with its appearance. Karjikai is prepared by boiling together cocounut , jaggery, sesame seeds for 10-15 minutes and then adding powdered poha to make it thicker and then stuffing it in thin sheet rolled from dough and cutting it in the semi-circle and frying it. So I know the basics to some extent. But somehow after frying the karjikai is having small boils all over and that is not how mom's karjikai turn out. So I decided to try them next day and kept some stuffing aside.
Yesterday, I prepared dough from maida i.e. refined flour and tried to roll very thin sheets. After stuffing and cutting , I thought I achieved it. But when I try to put the thing into pan for frying I realize that the edges are not sealed and all coconut stuffing is popping out. ( I could have sealed the edges with wet hand, as they do for samosa. But I did not)
Next I thought, OK, let me make modaka of them. That is after stuffing do not bother about the shape, just roll into ball and the sheet will be twisted to have a juttu on top. But again I did not like this tweak.
Next I tried making sweet samosa of it. I rolled a circle, cut into half. Twisted the semicircle into a cone and stuffed the coconut and sealed. The shape was looking better. And more importantly the edges did not open during frying. But the taste was more of bland than of sweet.
By this time, I was completely frustrated and angry. I just rolled one thick circle of the remaining dough, cut it into many squares and fried them. Sprinkled chilli pd and salt and hing mixture on top.
What did I do with remaining sweet stuffing? Well, it was not bad -  in taste!!!
As you can see, I like to flaunt my blundering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair care and me ??

I delayed writing this post for I was not sure whether I am entitled to write this post. If I put my photo along, I should also add that I do not use Dove shampoo, so that it will serve as a warning to people , if they don't use a proper shampoo, their hair might also look like mine :-( :-( :-( Things (on my head) were not this bad always. I had long black and reasonably thick hair, nicely plaited, when I was a child. In fact I would be sitting on my plaits - they were so long. And to top it all, one of relatives used to say " you say you will be taller and your hair will say it will be longer" or something like that. (Now I have ended up 5.2 ft  and my hair also short sob....) Back then, how did I nourish my hair?I did not do much in fact. But mere paas maa thi. She would religiously oil my hair - everyday. But not soak my head in oil. She would just put half a teaspoon of oil to my head. Then brush my hair nicely and put 2 tight plaits before sending me to school. T...

Someshwara shataka

ಚರಿಪಾರಣ್ಯದ ಪಕ್ಷಿಗೊಂದು ತರು à²—ೊಡ್ಢಾಗಲ್ ಫಲಂ ಈವಿದಾ ಮರಗಳ್ ಪುಟ್ಟವೆ ಪುಷ್ಪವೊಂದು ಬಳಲಲ್  à²­್ರಂಗಕ್ಕೆ ಪೂವಿಲ್ಲವೆ ನಿರತಂ ಸತ್ಕವಿಗೋರ್ವ ಗರ್ವಿದಂ ನೃಪ ತಾಂ ಲೋಭಿಯಾಗಲ್ ನಿಜಂ ಧರೆಯೊಳ್ ದಾತರು ಪುಟ್ಟರೆ ಹರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Will a bird in the wild go hungry just because one fruit tree dries up? If one flower withers, will not the bee get any flowers? If one haughty king is miserly, will there be no patrons (of poetry) on this earth? ಕೆಲವಂ ಬಲ್ಲವರಿಂದ ಕಲ್ತು ಕೆಲವಂ ಶಾಸ್ತ್ರಂಗಳೋದುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಮಾಳ್ಪವರಿಂದ ಕಂಡು ಕೆಲವಂ ಸುಜ್ಙಾನದಿಂ  ನೋಡುತಂ ಕೆಲವಂ ಸಜ್ಜನಸಂಗದಿಂದಲರಿಯಲ್ ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞನಪ್ಪಂ ನರಂ ಪಲವಂ ಪಳ್ಳ ಸಮುದ್ರವೈ ಹಾರ ಹರಾ ಶ್ರೀ ಚೆನ್ನ ಸೋಮೇಶ್ವರ Learning from wise men, reading from good books, observing others  work and learning from good company, these are the ways a man becomes omni-scient (sarvajna - one who knows everything). Just like many streams join together to make an ocean. P.S. 1) If you find some of my wordings in this shataka is wrong, please let me know. It is a 40 year old memory. 2) There are also...

Danuvettiddu

We Hegdes from Uttara Kannada, Dakshina Kannada, Shimoga districts of Karnataka belong to a brahmin sub sect called Havyaka Brahmins. We have some traditions of our own, a language of our own - which is slightly different from kannada. But I am not an authority on the subject, nor have I read any book on comparative analysis of Karnataka brahmin traditions. And as most modern secular Hindus I find it more amusing to make fun of our traditions rather than celebrating them - may be because I do not understand it completely. I attended a marriage yesterday. So let us talk about few of rituals in this marriage ceremony. On the previous day of the marriage called Naandi - which means beginning of any good thing. The groom will wear a simple dress, and a wooden footwear (since we can't conjure up wooden paduka so easily, he will wear foot-wear made from dried skin of areca flower) and with a sack on his shoulder, will declare that  he will go to Kashi. Here he is saying, he wants to...